A Pictorial History
In the new millennium it is perhaps time to look back and reflect on the story of Inveraray. Much has been written about our town over the past 50 years and this little publication is an attempt to compile a visual history by means of old postcards and pictures. The people of Inveraray need no reminding of their heritage but, for those whose ancestors came from these parts or to the visitor paying a fleeting visit, perhaps a brief history would be helpful.
The history of Inveraray is inextricably linked with that of the Campbells of Argyll. It was Archibald Campbell, 3rd Duke of Argyll, who, on building the present castle to supercede an old tower house (built by his ancestor the 1st Earl of Argyll in 1453), decided to move the old town, which had grown up round the original castle, to it's present site on the promontory known as Ardraineach or Fern Point. The old town had been made a Burgh of Barony in 1474 and a Royal Burgh in 1648 and is the capital town of the old County of Argyll. Most of the new town was not begun until the 1770s.
The architect Roger Morris, who designed the new castle, was succeeded by the Scottish architects Robert Mylne and John Adam, who were responsible for much of the design of the new town and had been employed in the building of the new castle. Inveraray has the distinction of being one of the first and finest planned towns in Scotland.
On the occasion of being made a freeman of his native town in 1909, Inveraray's most famous son, the author and poet Neil Munro, said. "The things we love intensely are the things worth writing about and this parish, though you may not think it, is a miniature of the world". To those who know and love our town and its people, these words are as true today.